Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Raw, Vegan Vanilla Chia Seed Pudding


IMG_5753
Lately, I've been eating chia seed pudding. A whole lot. It's probably my favorite breakfast, snack, and even desert. And this is simple, plain, vanilla chia pudding that takes literally little to no time to make. 
What I’m about to share will make four servings of chia seed pudding. If you want to cut this recipe in half, you can, and heck, if you want to go crazy and double it, you can do that, too. But what you need to know is the basic ratio of chia seed to liquid that will yield perfect results. For me, it is:
Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.05.44 PM
3 tablespoons:1 cup–that’s what you need to remember! The liquid can be any plant milk, but coconut water and juice are great, too.
When I’m making a single serving of chia pudding at a time, I usually just stir the cup of liquid and seeds together. I wait a minute or two, then stir again. I stir again five minutes later, and five minutes after that. After that, I just let it sit for an hour or two before enjoying. Usually, I’m prepping chia pudding for breakfast, so I let it sit overnight in the fridge. In the morning, I’ll add a tablespoon or two of extra almond milk if necessary.
When I make a bunch of servings at once, though, it’s much easier to make chia pudding in my blender. Here’s what you’ll need to make four servings at a time:
Screen Shot 2013-07-30 at 4.25.36 PM
IMG_5717
I add my almond milk, vanilla, and maple syrup to my blender and blend them up. Then, with the blender on a very low setting (the lowest setting in a regular blender, or about a 2 or 3 in the Vitamix), I add the chia seed.
IMG_5721
It blends up without getting stuck together, and it’s a fast way to mix things up. 
I transfer the whole thing to a mixing bowl and–just as with a single serving–I give it a stir.
IMG_5724IMG_5725
I give it another stir a moment or two later. I stir it five minutes later, and five minutes after that. Then I let it sit for an hour (thirty minutes will be enough time if that’s all you have) before transferring it to storage containers.
IMG_5730
I usually get about one quart and one small, half pint jar. For me, that’s about four servings.
IMG_5731
This chia breakfast is a parfait of 1 cup vanilla chia pudding, two tablespoons of flax seeds and almonds, two tablespoons of shredded coconut, and fresh blackberries. 
IMG_5757
It’s as beautiful as it is delicious–and fun to eat. Here it is, in snack size!
IMG_5740
IMG_5738
I like any berries on top of a chia pudding, but local blackberries have been particular giant (and delicious) lately.
IMG_5742
So, that’s my plain chia pudding process. Of course, you can add just about anything you like: ginger, cinnamon, cocoa, protein powder. This dish is easy to customize and uber pretty!
xoxo,
Joanna

No comments:

Post a Comment